Monday, January 26, 2009

When Chris is Gone

Everyone knows Chris travels he has since Caleb was 6 months old, so almost 10 years now.  Some months he is away more than others and lately he has been in the office but having late nights.  I like when he is home even if it means late nights because I get him to myself for an hour.  The kids spend time in the am, he even took the boys to breakfast before school one morning, they loved it.  So our time is limited but quality, especially on the weekends.

Weekdays are my schedule.  We attend fitblast at the Y monday,  do chores on tuesday then eat at chick-fil-a.  Wednesday is a push but we go to fitblast, eat dinner and homework then attend scouts.  Thursday we either stay home or go to fitblast depending on the energy level of the house, we may even hit the park down the street.  Friday nights we go to fitblast or meet daddy for dinner after his flight home.  I keep our afternoons very scheduled but we all need it.

My mornings are the same because that is what Felicia and Eagan need.  I balance their down time and playdates with friends.  Wednesday is Felicia's day with storybook.  Eagan has school 3 mornings and we have down time before the big boys come to school.  I love the carpool because I don't have to drive everyday, that is one of the best lessons I have learned, don't take everything on yourself, ask for help.  People surprise you.  

The other lesson I've learned in staying home with the kids is do what makes life easier.  We changed sports to incorporate all the kids, it was a great success.  The number of kids is easy, the age spread is what gives us trouble.  What the 9 year old want to do is different from the 1, etc.  We try to find activities for everyone, the park is huge and we can go most of the year.  The boat is our favorite and can do that all year long, sorry northern friends.  

We all miss him so much when he is away but he is great and gives us his full attention on the weekend.  People always ask how I can do this, my kids make it easy and I keep us all busy so we don't dwell on the fact that Chris isn't here.  It is what we know and I think they all handle it well.  Would I rather have him home at night yes but it is what it is and we do our best.  My favorite quote is "be kind to everyone you meet for they are fighting a harder battle."  I truly believe that and know our lives could be worse but are not so I am thankful everyday for what I do have, 4 great children given to me by a wonderful and loving husband.  How lucky am I!!

Now everyone knows how I survive the long weeks and why, enjoy.  Any other questions you know where I am.

No comments: